Frequently Asked Questions

We commonly get asked questions about outside agency approvals.  We have provided these links for your information:

Other Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. What are the Permit Fees?  Building permit fees are based on the estimated construction value.  For details regarding permit fees in Electoral Areas A, B, C and E (Elk Valley, South Country, rural Cranbook/Kimberley), call our Cranbrook office Building & Protective Services Department at (250) 489-2791 or 1-888-478-7335 or email [email protected].  For inquiries related to the Upper Columbia Valley (Electoral Areas F and G), contact Krista Konchuk at 250-342-0063 or [email protected]

  2. How Do I Get a Civic Address?  Upon issuance of a building permit and payment of the $30.00 civic address fee the number requisite for the building will be assigned. If a building permit has not been issued and a parcel is vacant, the Regional District may, upon payment of the fee, assign a number to the parcel only in cases where a number is required for insurance purposes, for the location of the parcel by emergency services, or to allow an owner to apply for services such as hydro, telephone and cable. Application forms for addressing vacant parcels are available at the Regional District offices in Cranbrook and the Columbia Valley or on line Request for "Pre" Addressing Unoccupied Property Form.

    House Numbering:  Please note that it is the owner’s responsibility to display the assigned house number in a secure position and in a position clearly visible from the road at any time of day or night, and the number shall be not less than four inches in height placed on a contrasting background.  This house number is to be affixed within 30 days of issuance of a building permit.

  3. What is the snow load for my area? The snow and rain load chart is alphabetical. Click here to view.

  4. How many hours notice do I need to give my Building Inspector to come out? It is best to give Inspectors 72 hours notice.

  5. Can I make my own drawings? Yes, provided they are drawn to scale and reflect all building code requirements.

  6. Can I call a Building Inspector for technical questions? Yes. Example: height of handrails, built-up beam specifications, etc.

  7. Do I need a business licence or do I need a permit? The Regional District of East Kootenay does not issue business licenses, however you need to check with the Planning & Development Services Department to see if zoning permits the intended business use of the property.  If you need a gst number you will need to contact your local government agent or a contractor license from the Homeowner Protection Office.

  8. Do you have Dog Control? Noise from barking dogs falls under the Noise Control Bylaw in all areas of the Regional District. If you have a dog noise complaint please contact Debbie or fill out this form and email to [email protected].  The Regional District also provides dog control services in Electoral Areas F and G.  The dog control officer for those areas is Kim O'Farrell who can be contacted by phone at 250-342-0063 or by email at [email protected]. However, if you are having a problem with what you consider to be a vicious dog in any of the other electoral areas, contact Debbie to find about provincial legislation that allows the police to take action.

  9. How long is my permit good for?  Building permits are good for 2 years.  Renewed permits are good for one additional year at a cost of $75.00 or $2.00 per $1000.00 of the estimated value of the work to be completed.

  10. I've heard that there is testing available for Radon. What is Radon and why would I want to test for it?  Radon is a radioactive gas that occurs naturally when uranium in soil and rock breaks down. It is invisible, odourless and tasteless. When released from the ground into the outdoor air, radon is diluted and is not a concern. However, in enclosed spaces such as homes, it can sometimes accumulate to high levels, which can put people’s health at risk.

    The only way to know if your home has a radon problem is to test. Testing for radon in your home is easy and inexpensive. There are different types of devices that can be used to test for radon. Click this link to order your radon test kit.  Alternatively, radon test devices are available at select Home Hardware and Walmart locations, as well as at all Home Depot stores throughout British Columbia. Prices and types vary.  For more information on radon, visit

  11. Do I need any other permits in addition to a Building Permit?  In addition to a Building Permit you may need to apply for a Development Permit if your property is within a Development Permit Area identified in one of the following Official Community Plans:

  • Lake Windermere
  • Rockyview (Cranbrook Rural Area, Moyie or Wycliffe)
  • Panorama
  • Island Lake Lodge
  • Fairmont Area
  • Fernie Alpine Resort
  • Steamboat - Jubilee Mountain
  • Wasa & Area

12.  Is your proposed new building close to a property line? Review our Fire Separation Guide which is intended to give you a heads-up on some requirements to help determine if its worth the extra cost and restrictions. Fire Separation Handout - Reducing damage caused by the spread of fire - click here.

If you are proposing a development to include construction of buildings or structure within any of the Official Community Plan areas listed above, please contact Planning & Development Services staff at 250-489-2791 or 1-888-478-7335 prior to making an application. More information about specific Development Permit Areas can be found by clicking here.

Last edited: Tue, February 06, 2024 - 3:08:15