Bylaw Enforcement

The main drive behind the RDEK's Bylaw Enforcement Program is to seek compliance with our bylaws. Our Compliance Officer, Debbie Pighin is responsible for enforcing Regional District Regulatory Bylaws, including but not limited to:

  • Nuisances and Unsightly Premises
  • Noise Control
  • Zoning
  • Special Events

In addition, she enforces the Building Bylaw and Weed Control Bylaw in cases of non-compliance.

Making a Complaint

All complaints must be made in writing to the Compliance Officer, Debbie Pighin. To make a complaint, you can print off the appropriate form below, fill it out, and mail, fax or email it to For other complaints, please submit a letter. Note: you will need Acrobat Reader to view the following files. 



Frequently Asked Questions

Will My Neighbour Find Out I'm Reporting Him/Her?
Many people are concerned about this issue.  Although complaints must be made in writing, all complaints are confidential. The Compliance Officer requires your contact information to follow up, to get more details and keep you informed about the progress of a file.  If you are concerned about your privacy, we will be happy to take you through the process step by step. 

How Do I Know If You Can Help Me?
If you are having a problem that you think falls into one of the above categories, please email Debbie Pighin, Compliance Officer or call the RDEK office in Cranbrook at 489-2791 or toll-free 1-888-478-7335.  We will review your information and let you know whether or not there is anything the RDEK can do to assist you.

I'm Having a Problem With a Dog in My Neighbourhood. Can You Help?
Noise from barking dogs falls under the Noise Control Bylaw in all areas of the Regional District. If you have a dog noise complaint please contact Debbie or fill out this form and email to

The Regional District also provides dog control services in Electoral Areas F and G.  The dog control officer for those areas is  Damien Richard who can be contacted by phone at 250-341-7880 or by email at However, if you are having a problem with what you consider to be a vicious dog in any of the other electoral areas, contact Debbie to find about provincial legislation that allows the police to take action.

What Happens After I Make a Complaint?

Once a complaint has been submitted in writing, you will likely be contacted to confirm details. If the file requires the action of the Compliance Officer, she begins the process of trying to reach a resolution.  The most important step in the process is the first step which involves the public writing or faxing to bring the problem to our attention.  Our Compliance Officer, Debbie Pighin, can be e-mailed at or faxed at 250-489-1287. If you would like, contact the office at 250-489-2791 or 1-888-478-7335. All complaints remain confidential.

How do I apply for a Special Event Licence?
If you would like to apply for a special event licence, please contact Tina Hlushak, Deputy Corporate Officer, and she will gladly assist you. For more information, check our our Special Event Licencing page.

Last edited: Tue, August 30, 2022 - 12:43:49