Making a Complaint

The RDEK's Bylaw Enforcement Program is complaint based. Complaints need to be made in writing and are kept confidential.

To make a noise or unsightly premise complaint, you can print off the appropriate form below, fill it out, and mail, fax, or email it to Compliance Officer Debbie Pighin if within Electoral Areas A, B, C, and E or Kim O’Farrell if within Electoral Areas F and G.

For other complaints, please submit a letter.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will My Neighbour Find Out I'm Reporting Him/Her?
Many people are concerned about this issue.  Although complaints must be made in writing, all complaints are confidential. The Compliance Officer requires your contact information so they can follow up to get more details and keep you informed about the progress of a file. If you are concerned about your privacy, the RDEK’s Compliance Officers will be happy to take you through the process step by step.  .  

How Do I Know If You Can Help Me?
If you are having a problem that you think falls into one of the above categories, and if you are in Electoral Areas A, B, C, or E please email Debbie Pighin Compliance Officer or call the RDEK office in Cranbrook at 489-2791.  If you are in Electoral Area F or G please email Kim O’Farrell, Compliance Officer or call the Columbia Valley Office at 342-0063.  Either Compliance Officer can be reached toll free at 1-888-478-7335. They will review your information and let you know if there is anything the RDEK can do to assist you.

I'm Having a Problem With a Dog in My Neighborhood. Can You Help?
Noise from barking dogs falls under the Noise Control Bylaw in all areas of the Regional District. If you have a dog noise complaint please contact the Compliance Officer in your Electoral Area or fill out this form and email to the applicable Compliance Officer.

The Regional District also provides dog control services in Electoral Areas F and G. The dog control for those areas is the Compliance officer, Kim O'Farrell. Call 250-342-0063 or by email at [email protected].

If you are having a problem with what you consider to be a vicious dog in Electoral Areas A, B, C, and E, contact Debbie Pighin, Compliance Officer at 489-2791 to find about provincial legislation that allows the police to take action.

What Happens After I Make a Complaint?
Once a complaint has been submitted in writing, you will likely be contacted to confirm details. If the file requires the action of a Compliance Officer, they will begin the process of trying to reach a resolution.  The most important step in the process is the first step which involves the public writing or faxing to bring the problem to the RDEK’s attention.  All complaints remain confidential.

Last edited: Wed, August 23, 2023 - 11:54:07