Comfort Letter

Comfort Letter

Comfort letters provide information on land use items such as the current zoning, building permit records and past development applications, they are most commonly requested by law firms or Real Estate Agents wanting to know the current status of property as part of due diligence as part of a property sale.

Comfort letters provide information related to a specific property. They do not include copies of records or building permit plans. If you wish to acquire records or permits, a Freedom on Information (FOI) request must be submitted.   Information on the FOI process and how to determine if it is required can be found on the FOI Page

What should I include in a Comfort Letter request?

The following information is required by the RDEK in order to process the request:

  • The name, address, contact phone number and email address of the person making the request.
  • The civic address and legal description of the property that is subject to the request.
  • An itemized list of information being requested (e.g. type and status of permits, zoning regulations, date of occupancy certificate, outstanding issues, active bylaw enforcement files, etc.).

The request should provide as much detail as possible and be very specific about the nature of the information being sought. If requests do not contain sufficient detail, they may receive a general response or may result in pertinent information being omitted.

How do I submit a request for a Comfort Letter?
Requests for a Comfort Letter can be submitted to the RDEK by: 

  • Email: [email protected]
  • Mail or In-person:  24 19 Avenue S, Cranbrook BC V1C 3H8
                                         1164 Windermere Loop Road, Invermere BC VOA 1K3
  • Fax: 250-489-3498

How much does a Comfort Letter cost?

Effective January 1, 2023, the fee for a Comfort Letter is $50.00, payable to the RDEK.
Payment can be made by cheque, phone via a credit card or in person.  When making payment, please indicate the name and civic address (or other property identifier) so that the payment can be linked to your request.   

How long will it take for my Comfort Letter to be processed?

Please allow up to 10 working days, per property, from receipt of payment to process the request.
*Note that effective January 1st, 2023, information requests requiring detailed property specific research and a written response (Comfort Letter) from staff will not be processed until payment has been received. 

Where can I find other property related information?

  • Requests for information related to bylaw enforcement or complaints may require that you submit a FOI request. Further information on what triggers an FOI request and how to submit one is found on the FOI page
  • Information related to any charges (such as Restrictive Covenants, Statutory right-of-ways, Covenants, Easements, etc) registered against the title of the property should be directed to the Land Title Office. Copies of land title documents and charges can be acquired for a fee through the BC Land Title & Survey Authority (LTSA) at The RDEK is unable to provide you with these documents. 
  • Inquiries related to health regulations (e.g. drinking water, septic systems, etc.), should be directed to the Interior Health Authority. 
  • The RDEK does not issue permits for or conduct inspections related to gas or electrical items and Technical Safety BC should be contacted for this information. 

Last edited: Thu, December 01, 2022 - 3:14:18