May 5-11 is National Emergency Preparedness Week
The RDEK encourages you to take time now to get prepared.
- Know your risks
- Make a plan
- Get an emergency kit
For more details on how to build your own emergency kit, visit: PreparedBC
Regional Self-Fill Sandbag Stations
With the low-elevation melt underway, the RDEK has set up self-fill sandbag stations at:
- Cranbrook Public Works Yard
- Jaffray Community Centre
- The Hoz parking lot in Hosmer
- Fairmont Transfer Station
- Windermere Fire Hall parking lot
- Edgewater Library (between the library and old credit union).
The sandbag stations have sand and bags; however, residents need to bring their own shovels and gloves. Sandbags should be filled ½ to ¾ full with the ends folded over for best compaction and effectiveness when placing them.
In cases of localized flooding or high-water, the primary responsibility for protection of property lies with the property owner. The RDEK has a seasonal flooding newsletter (click to view) with helpful tips along with links to other flood-related information. Ther are also other links below under Resources
Numbers to Call:
If you see - or are experiencing - wide-scale flooding, please report it.
Other Emergency Numbers to call:
- FOREST OR WILDLAND FIRES: Cellphone: *5555 or 1-800-663-5555
- OTHER (spills, airplane crashes, landslides, avalanche): 1-800-663-3456
During large-scale emergencies, the East Kootenay Emergency Information Line is activated. The numbers will be posted on this page, on the RDEK's social media pages, and in the local media when the line is activated.
- Interior Health - Flooding Information - before, during and after a flood
- Interior Health - General Emergency information - basic information on wildfires, floods, power loss (click on the Local Government & Public Link for each page)
- PreparedBC - Emergency preparedness information and guides to help you put together an emergency kit, develop a household emergency plan, connect with your neighbours
- BC River Forecast Centre - snow pack, seasonal water supply and flood risk information, and streamflow predictions. This site has bulletins, maps and warnings about current and upcoming streamflow conditions.
- BC Wildfire Service - Wildfire Information, Interactive Fire Map, Restrictions/Bans
- Air Quality - Air Quality Readings
- Air Quality - Health Impacts and Information (Interior Health)
- Drive BC - Road closures / highway conditions:
- Parks Canada - Wildfire Information
- BC Parks - Wildfire Information
Last edited: Mon, May 06, 2019 - 10:16:45