To view current Evacuation Alerts or Orders, click here.
- Click here to view the 2021 Seasonal Wildfire Preparedness Newsletter
Emergency Numbers to Call:
- FOREST OR WILDLAND FIRES: Cellphone: *5555 or 1-800-663-5555
- OTHER (spills, airplane crashes, landslides, avalanche): 1-800-663-3456
During large-scale emergencies, the East Kootenay Emergency Information Line is activated. The numbers to call are:
If operators are not available, there will be a recorded message with the latest information.
There are three key things that everyone should be doing to prepare for wildfire season:
- Know the Hazard: to learn how to prepare for wildfire season, this is a great link: Prepared BC
- Gather supplies: build a household emergency kit and a grab and go bag. Learn how here: Build Your Kit
- Make Your Plan - making an Emergency Plan not only helps you be ready, knowing what to do will reduce anxiety and help keep you focused and safe. Learn how here: Make Your Plan
Evacuation Notification System:
Every resident and property owner in the East Kootenay is encouraged to sign up for the Evacuation Notification System. To register or learn more, CLICK HERE.
Other Helpful Links:
- Emergency Management BC also has a lot of information on everything from emergency preparedness to fires and floods.
- PreparedBC - Preparedness information and guides to help you put together an emergency kit, develop a household emergency plan, connect with your neighbours.
- Air Quality Health Index - Find the current and forecast Air Quality Health Index.
- Drive BC - Road closures / highway conditions.
- FireSmart BC - Simple steps you can take to drastically reduce your property's risk.
- BC Hydro - website on what to do during a power outage, and stay up to date with current outages.
- Red Cross - Power outages: Before, During and After.
- Red Cross: Emergency and Disaster Services - resources to help locate specific emergency and disaster services available in affected cities.
Last edited: Tue, July 20, 2021 - 4:30:05