To view current Evacuation Alerts or Orders, click here.
The BC Wildfire Service is the best source of information for local wildfires, fire bans and restrictions, and more. Visit www.bcwildfire.ca and click on the Interactive Map for the latest fire information.
Emergency Numbers to Call:
- FOREST OR WILDLAND FIRES: Cellphone: *5555 or 1-800-663-5555
- OTHER (spills, airplane crashes, landslides, avalanche): 250-489-9677
During large-scale emergencies, the East Kootenay Emergency Information Line is activated. The numbers to call are:
If operators are not available, there will be a recorded message with the latest information.
There are three key things that everyone should be doing to prepare for wildfire season:
- Know the Hazard: to learn how to prepare for wildfire season, this is a great link: Prepared BC
- Gather supplies: build a household emergency kit and a grab and go bag. Learn how here: Build Your Kit
- Make Your Plan - making an Emergency Plan not only helps you be ready, knowing what to do will reduce anxiety and help keep you focused and safe. Learn how here: Make Your Plan
Evacuation Notification System:
Every resident and property owner in the East Kootenay is encouraged to sign up for the Evacuation Notification System. To register or learn more, CLICK HERE.
Other Helpful Links:
- Emergency Management BC also has a lot of information on everything from emergency preparedness to fires and floods.
- PreparedBC - Preparedness information and guides to help you put together an emergency kit, develop a household emergency plan, connect with your neighbours.
- www.FireSmoke.ca - An interactive map that shows where smoke is coming from.
- www.BCWildfire.ca - The best source for information on local wildfires, including an interactive map.
- Air Quality Health Index - Find the current and forecast Air Quality Health Index.
- Drive BC - Road closures / highway conditions.
- FireSmart BC - Simple steps you can take to drastically reduce your property's risk.
- BC Hydro - website on what to do during a power outage, and stay up to date with current outages.
- Red Cross - Power outages: Before, During and After.
- Red Cross: Emergency and Disaster Services - resources to help locate specific emergency and disaster services available in affected cities.
- Evacuation ALERT checklist: view pdf here
- Evacuation ORDER checklist: view pdf here
- 2022 Fire Season Preparedness brochure: view pdf here
- BC Farm/Ranch Wildfire Plan Guide (Climate Action Initiative/Investment Agriculture Foundation BC): view pdf here
- The Farm/Ranch Wildfire Plan Guide/Workbook (FireSmart BC): view pdf here
Last edited: Wed, August 10, 2022 - 1:37:06