Home » News » Here
Overnight Fire at Edgewater Transfer Station

Overnight Fire at Edgewater Transfer Station

Members of the Edgewater Fire Department extinguished a suspicious fire in the waste bin at the Edgewater Transfer Station overnight.

“When we arrived on scene, the bin was fully engulfed in flames and our crew did an exceptional job of quickly extinguishing the fire and preventing what could have been a much more serious situation,” explains Columbia Valley Rural Fire & Rescue Service Deputy Chief Drew Sinclair. 

Five firefighters and two pieces of apparatus responded to the call at approximately 11:30pm Monday night. 

The cause of the fire is believed to be a warm ash barrel which had been thrown in the bin with a number of propane tanks.  “This is a deliberate, destructive act that not only put our firefighters at risk, but the wider community,” stresses Sinclair. “These ash barrels are at our sites to prevent fires and to provide a safe option for people to dispose of ashes and it is unfathomable why someone would throw one in the bin with propane tanks.” The transfer station resumed normal operations Tuesday morning.

The public is reminded that the fire hazard rating in the region is extreme and fires – including campfires, fireworks and outdoor burning of any kind – are prohibited across the entire Province of BC.

The RCMP have been contacted and anyone who may have noticed anything at the Edgewater Transfer Station site Monday evening is asked to follow up with the Columbia Valley RCMP or Windermere Fire Department.

-30-

Image Gallery